At Raunds Park Infant School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to teach children the sounds that letters make.
RWI is a method of learning based on letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they want to write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
If you would like access to more information about Read Write Inc please use this link - Read, Write, Inc Information
On the website you will find the following:
- Free e-books
- Videos to aid you supporting your child at home
- How to teach Set 1, 2 and 3 Sounds with supporting resources
- How to pronounce pure sounds
- Understanding RWI Phonics
- What is Fred Talk?
If you would like any further information, please contact your child's Class Teacher.